Welcome to a day in my life. I can't guarantee that this will be an exciting read for anyone. My life is filled with all the mundane activities of a stay-at-home-mom just trying to raise her three sons to be the best men they can be.

Friday, May 18, 2007

Today is the day that Jason and Alyson get married

I've been in the wedded bliss frame of mind in the last couple of days. I'm happy to report that I am happily married to a great guy and we both plan on staying that way for a very long time. Our marriage is, in no way, a perfect one. (I don't think I've seen a perfect marriage yet) We've had our days when we wanted to stangle the other but we know that we are committed to what we started in November, 1987. During all the stressful times (and there have been many ... and still are) we know that we always have each other to lean on. I love him, and he loves me. It's a love that continues to change, evolve, and grow stronger each passing year. (I won't say day, because there are some days that I wouldn't admit to loving this man LOL!)

So, the question is how have we managed to stay married and in love for almost 20 years? I followed the following advice to keep my man happy (and please try not to spray your computer screen with coffee as you're reading this and trying to picture me doing these things):

How to Look After Your Husband
(This was passed on to me as a "genuine extract from a 1950 Home Economics Book". It may have been changed a little, but it does reflect the general feeling of the time.)

Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready on time for his return from work. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you will be refreshed when he arrives.

Touch up your make up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh looking. He has just been with a lot of work weary people. His boring day may need a lift.

Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair, and, if necessary, change their clothes. They are his little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part.

Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the house just before your husband arrives. Gather up school books, toys, papers etc. and then dust cloth the tables. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order and it will give you a lift too.

Minimize the noise. Be sure there is no noise from washer, dryer, dishwasher or vacuum. Encourage the children to be quiet. Greet him with a warm smile and be glad to see him.

Don't greet him with complaints or problems. Don't complain if he is late for dinner. Count this as minor compared to what he may have gone through that day.

Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair. Have a cooling drink ready for him. Offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a soft voice. Allow him to relax and unwind. Listen to him. You may have a dozen things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him speak first.

Make the evening his. Never complain if he does not take you out to dinner or to other places of entertainment. Instead try to understand his world and pressure, his need to be home and relaxed.

THE GOAL: try to make your home a place of peace of peace and order where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the warning - I left my tea cup untouched until I finished reading your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you believe that Home-Ec classes were full of this stuff?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:40 PM

    This all makes good sense to me !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am envious. I never get this treatment.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate the comment and will be sure to stop by and visit your blog.