Welcome to a day in my life. I can't guarantee that this will be an exciting read for anyone. My life is filled with all the mundane activities of a stay-at-home-mom just trying to raise her three sons to be the best men they can be.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Our Mediterranean Cruise - Part Six

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five

Messina (Sicily)

By the time we got to Messina, we were so done with having "Fun Days at Sea" and really looking forward to time in port again. I have to admit that when we were first planning our cruise and excursions, Messina was the one port that I figured would be my least favourite. Boy, was I wrong!

Once again, we pulled into the port early morning and met up with our small tour group at 8 a.m. Our excursion was called "In the Godfather's Footsteps." We would tour some of the places where the movie was filmed.

The weather was beautiful. Sunny and warm! Our driver's name was Sebastian. First he drove us towards the beautiful hillside town of Sovoca. Here, we stopped at the at the famous corner bar Vitelli that was used in the movie. Then we walked through some of the  streets to the Church of St. Lucy where Apollonia and Michael’s wedding was shot. Besides the fact that this village was made famous by the movie, it was so picturesque and quaint and like taking a step back in time.  I didn't want to leave there.
                                                                      Vitelli's Bar
 
St. Lucy's


 
Our Tour Group
 
From there Sebastian took us up to a great look-out spot that overlooked the town of Taormina. It was spectular.

 
Mt. Etna (the active volcano)


 
 
 
After that we went down into the town of Taormina where we had  about three hours to do some shopping and exploring.  We walked the main street and stopped for canolis. Then we made our way through town to the ruins of an old Greek Theatre. Exploring the ruins was amazing, not to mention the breathtaking views.

                                                                         Yum!
 


The Greek Theatre
 




 
 I would have to say that this was my favourite port of the trip. I'm so glad this stop was reinstated.

8 comments:

  1. I've never been to Sicily. It looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are gorgeous! And the cannolli, yes please

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! The cannoli shot is making me crave one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That cannoli looks delicious!
    you got some fabulous photos. The greek theatre take your breath away. The last shot is just superb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures sis. Sicily is high on our list for a visit, particularly the Messina area as her grandfather was born and raised in Catania which is in the Messina area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness this is stunning.
    I can see why you didn't want to leave :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your photos are amazing! The cannoli is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate the comment and will be sure to stop by and visit your blog.