Welcome to a day in my life. I can't guarantee that this will be an exciting read for anyone. My life is filled with all the mundane activities of a stay-at-home-mom just trying to raise her three sons to be the best men they can be.

Thursday, October 18, 2012

A week and a half ago Wendy came to visit us.

We met Wendy while we were living in Barbados - back in 1993. She came to work for us as our housekeeper/nanny.

She quickly became a much loved member of our family. The boys loved her and she loved them like they were her own. She was with us when Cameron was born and was his second mother. For me, she was irreplaceable. For 4 1/2 years she gave so much to us.
When it was time for us to return to Canada it was hard to say goodbye and to leave her behind.

Over the last 12 years we've kept in touch, through email, facebook, and telephone.

A few months ago, Wendy called to tell us that she was coming to Canada for a vacation. She was coming up with a friend, but we arranged for her to come spend some time with us. Unfortuantely, we only had her with us for a week and a half - bad timing with John and I leaving in a few days for our trip - but we certainly packed a lot into the time we've spent together.

I picked her up on October 8th (Canadian Thanksgiving) which was perfect because she got to come to our big family dinner and see all my family again. I didn't tell anyone she was coming so it was a big surprise when we walked in. Even though it was a crazy day (with 30 people) I know she enjoyed getting to see everyone again. (she had met many family members when they came to visit us, and other family members when she came back to Canada with us for a summer.)

The two of us spent a day in Niagara Falls, visiting The Falls, going for lunch, and spending time at the bird aviary.

We had a girls' day. We spent the day in St. Jacob's (a Mennonite village) with my sister Cathy, and sister-in-law Gayle.

I allowed Cameron to play hookey from school one day and we went into Toronto. We did a lot of the tourist stuff like going up the CN Tower,

Casa Loma,


and then we went shopping at the Eaton Centre where Spencer joined us after work for dinner.

We did a lot of shopping days and went to the movies.

It was an activity packed week and a half but it was fantastic! It was so good to be able to spend time with her.

Today, she leaves and it was a little sad this morning to see the boys saying goodbye to her when they were leaving. It was quite a bit different from the last time we had to say goodbye to her ... this time the boys are all grown, and this time they had to bend to hug her, instead of the other way around.


  1. looks like a wonderful time!!

  2. It's so nice that you had this time together!

  3. Looks like you had a wonderful week with Wendy-it must have great for her to reconnect with your boys!

  4. Aww, what a great time! I'm following you now and thanks for participating in my request at 2Peas!

  5. Sounds like an awesome vacation and visit with an old friend. It's amazing that she got to see the boys again, how much they have changed. Lots of great new memories too.

  6. What a great post! Loved the story of Wendy and keeping in touch over the years.
    How awesome that she could come to visit and the bending for the hugs was reversed this time round!!!

  7. Looks like you all were having a great time.

  8. Sounds a fun vacation and the pics are fab!!!

    I'm a new follower from 2peas :)

  9. Looks like such a fun time! I am going to get to Casa Loma someday, been dying to see this place in person!


thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate the comment and will be sure to stop by and visit your blog.