Welcome to a day in my life. I can't guarantee that this will be an exciting read for anyone. My life is filled with all the mundane activities of a stay-at-home-mom just trying to raise her three sons to be the best men they can be.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thursday Thirteen

It's been a very long time since I've participated in this. In fact, I had forgotten all about it (hey, if it's not written on the list, I don't remember!) Lucky for me, a recent blog visitor reminded me about it.

OK, OK, I know you're all anxious for me to just get to it. So, here it goes.

Thirteen little tidbits of exciting - OK, not so exciting - tidbits from my life right now. (what can I say, I'm a stay at home mom - how exciting can things really get?)

1. I know you're all wondering how I finished off my summer ... come on, I know you've been just sitting, waiting by your computer. OK, I'll put you out of your misery. When we got home from the cruise, Cameron and I went up to the trailer. We spent most of August there. Matt couldn't go, for reasons I'll share in a minute, and Spencer wanted to just hang out at home after being away all of July. We had to come home here and there for different things but we pretty much just hung out there. I have to admit, though, that by the end of August, I was pretty bored of just sitting around up there.

2. We did spend a day at Canada's Wonderland with Stephen and Gayle and the family, and my brother-in-law Don before Stephen and Gayle and kids had to head back to Calgary.

3. My niece, Elizabeth came out for a couple of weeks to attend National Music Camp. It was so nice to see her and how much she's grown up into a fine young woman.

4. Spencer went to the same music camp.

5. The day after getting home from camp, Spencer left for university. We got him all settled into his room in Residence - as much as he wanted us to do ... which was pretty much bring everything in and just dump it. The first week was Frosh week so he had a lot of fun, and hung out with friends that are going there too.

6. I'm secretly glad that he's only an hour away ... which means that he will be home often. He's a homebody so I'm sure that he's glad he's only an hour away too.

7. The first week without him around here was very strange. There were a few nights at dinner that it was just John, Cameron and I. I don't like that. It will take some getting used to.

8. My baby, Cameron, has started high school. That's going to take a lot of getting used to, too.

9. I have a new scrapping hang-out. A friend of mine has just opened a new Scrapbooking store in Mississauga. It's gorgeous! My Tuesday Girls are so excited about having a new place to scrapbook on Tuesdays. I'm going to feel quite at home there. Check it out here: http://www.scrapbookqueens.ca/Index.html

10. Cameron and I got sucked into Big Brother this summer ... mostly because our TV viewing at the trailer was very limited so we didn't really have much choice. Now that I'm back into a routine, though, I've missed last week and will miss this week. Darn! Right at the end of it too.

11. This has caught my attention: Cricut Imagine. I think I would use this baby alot!

12. It's just about that time again - time for the annual girls Scrapping Vacation. This year there are 19 of us going. More on that later.

13. The most exciting news is that Matt is now a working man. For those who don't know, Matt is now 20 and has a social/communitcation disorder called Nonverbal Learning Disorder (which is very similar to Aspergers). He decided to take some time off school as he wasn't enjoying what he was taking and he is now working. This is a huge step for him. Not only is he working, but he's working at Harvey's (a fast-food hamburger place) and is a "garnisher" which means he's up front, dealing with customers. For someone who has great difficulty relating to others, this is huge. I went one day for lunch, and I sat and watched him for a while. He did really well. While he wasn't engaged in lenghty conversations with customers (costumers don't want that anyway from the person who is putting mustard on their hamburger) he was using the lines we practised at home and he was very friendly and polite. His bosses have told him that he's very good with the customers. Yay for him! ... and it's very reassuring for us to see.

Are you still with me?
If you want to see more Thursday Thirteeners or to participate, all you have to do is go here:
http://thursday-13.com/

3 comments:

  1. Yea for Matt!!! That's so awesome! That is a huge step! I am happy you have a new scrapping store. There are several that has closed around where I live and one that opened last year. It's 5 minutes from where I live so I really hopr it stays open!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to see your blog is active again. You've had a really busy summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Matt! This is awesome news, Barbara.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate the comment and will be sure to stop by and visit your blog.