Welcome to a day in my life. I can't guarantee that this will be an exciting read for anyone. My life is filled with all the mundane activities of a stay-at-home-mom just trying to raise her three sons to be the best men they can be.

Saturday, October 11, 2008

Last night the DY(Divisional Youth Band) was on duty at the Salvation Army Congress in Toronto. I would have loved to attend the weekend-long event, but it coincides with a family wedding that will take us out of town today and tomorrw. So, I dropped Spencer off at the convention centre last night and then went up to the Eaton's Centre (as I had a few things that I needed to get for the wedding - such as clothes for my boys to wear, gifts, etc.).

After picking up what I needed I went to the food court to get something to eat. I was sitting in my own little worlds watching the people around me. (I love to people watch!) I started to think about all the things that must have transpired in each person's life to bring us all together in the same room and cross paths like that. (weird, I know ... I think of stuff like that all the time.)

As I was lost in my thoughts, a woman came along. She was older, Chinese, and spoke with a strong accent. She asked if she could talk to me for a minute. I was taken off guard, but I agreed. She sat down and started rambling about how the Canadian Government has mistreated her. They took her boys from her and forced her to live with her abusive husband. As she talked on and on, her story got very strange to the point where she was telling me that the police tell her that she must obey her husband if she wants to ever see her children again, that her husband knocked out her teeth (although at one point she told me that someone forced her to have them removed), the police made her go to the dentist where he drilled two holes in each side of her mouth and had microphones or something put in, and that the government is watching her all the time trough cameras all over the city and satelites. Although I'm not a pshyciatrist, I'm sure she has schizophrenia. After listening to her for about 10 minutes, I politely excused myself. As I left she asked me to tell all my friends her story as it would be the only way for her to get help.

She has no idea how true those words are. I felt really sorry for her and am very aware that the help she needs she won't get. (due to the cutbacks in our health system, people like this will fall through the cracks ... unless she has family who will advocate for her.) It is only through people talking about her, and people like her, and forcing the issues with our politicians that change will occur. It's all to easy to call her crazy and not worthy of our attention.

Crossing paths with her yesterday really made an impact on me ... even to the point where I layed awake last night thinking about her, and people like her. It's pretty ironic that as I sat lost in thought thinking about how we were all crossing paths, that she crossed mine. I know that my life will go on as usual, but for a brief moment she touched mine, and made an impact. I promised her that I would tell everyone her story and I've kept that promise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're off today to the trailer. We need to get it ready for closing. I'm going to love being there today as I know it will be very quiet and peaceful. From there we'll head to the wedding, and then to my sister's for Thanksgiving on Monday.

It will be a weekend filled with our families. What better way to spend a weekend!

3 comments:

  1. It's strange how people affect us. Sometimes chance encounters change our lives enormously.

    Have a Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is not just budget cutbacks that are the issue. In the early 70s US courts ruled that individuals such as this lady cannot be forced into treatment or home or institution unless either a) they were of clear and eminent danger to others, or b) were of clear and eminent danger to themselves. If she recognizes she has a problem, is able to sign herself in, but the chances of that happening are remote. Canadian laws and courts have also moved in the same direction. Unfortunately, too many of these folks end up living on the street, or barely off it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:54 PM

    Very sad that so many people with mental illnesses never get the help they need... and the only time we hear about it is when things go terribly wrong. :S

    Anyway, thanks for sharing your story. I hope you have a great weekend with your family.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate the comment and will be sure to stop by and visit your blog.