Welcome to a day in my life. I can't guarantee that this will be an exciting read for anyone. My life is filled with all the mundane activities of a stay-at-home-mom just trying to raise her three sons to be the best men they can be.

Monday, January 05, 2009

Looking Ahead.

Well, the year hasn't started off so well. I came down with a wicked head cold on New Years' Day. We spent New Years' Eve at Cathy and Don's and ended up sleeping there. During the night, by throat started burning and I knew. By the time we left there I was really starting to feel it. We were going to go to the inlaws for dinner, but instead I went home ... to the couch ... and there I stayed.

It's been 5 days now, and while I'm feeling a little better, I'm still sick. It has now moved into my chest.

Cameron has been so sweet. He keeps coming and asking me how I'm feeling. He makes me soup and makes me tea. He will make a very loving husband one day (if she can endure his constant state of messiness.)

Anyway, as I stated in the last post, I didn't do as well as I had hoped with last year's word "embrace." I didn't take as much time as I had hoped to embrace life, to enjoy the smaller things of life. I always seemed to be too busy to take the time to stop and smell the roses.

This year it's all about simplifying. While I know that we can't get away from being busy, I would like to just simplify things and spend more time doing the simple things that really make me happy. It's all about just spending time with the people who mean the most to me. Time. Time to spend with my teenage sons who will be moving off into their own lives soon, time to reconnect with friends that somehow get pushed aside for obligations that creep in, time to focus on a hobby that I love but haven't found the time to do lately, time to spend alone, time to enjoy the tastes, sounds and sights around me. Time!

So, my word this year is SIMPLIFY.

6 comments:

  1. Barb, your word for this year is perfect. I hope you enjoy spending more time doing whatever makes you happy.

    Sending you a cup of soup to make you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:12 AM

    I like your word. It's a good word. I'm not sure I'm going to choose a word this year. For me, it's like those resolutions I never keep! lol

    I hope you're feeling better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relationships and cherishing your sons is far more valuable than amasing things or in just being busy. Things come and go, and there are always more tasks...both will fade in time. But life experiences with those who are dear to us will never fade from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good word. Have you been reading Thoreau lately?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The older I get the more simplification is a great word for me. Less clutter, less things, and more importance placed on my relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SIMPLIFY sounds like a wonderful theme. I want to really think about 'things' that are cluttering the home, too, that are not being used. A less cluttered home helps me to focus on the important things (people), too.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate the comment and will be sure to stop by and visit your blog.