Welcome to a day in my life. I can't guarantee that this will be an exciting read for anyone. My life is filled with all the mundane activities of a stay-at-home-mom just trying to raise her three sons to be the best men they can be.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

Who Knew?

OK, some of you already knew, but everyone I've told my story to has been almost as shocked as I was.

When we were driving along the 401 on a Sunday morning on our way to Tennesse in Setember, there were two police cars with their lights flashing, on the shoulder of the road. I slowed the car down and we started talking about the law in Alberta where you have to slow down to 60 when passing emergency vehicles or face a very hefty fine.

We passed and almost immediately were pulled over by one of the police cars. At that moment we were informed of the law in Ontario where you have to slow down (I did) and pull into the next lane when passing an emergency vehicle that is on the shoulder. (I did not.) As a result I was given a $500 ticket and lost three points. Needless to say we were all in shock. Who knew?

Well, I chose to fight the ticket, and went to court this week. The charge ended up being dismissed as the court date was changed, and I wasn't notified. The police officer wasn't there and thanks to a very nice prosecutor, I walked away without losing any money or any points. Whew!

If you want to read more on the law, Check here: http://www.canadiandriver.com/news_2008/01/08/080108-5.htm

5 comments:

  1. I hate it when laws like this are enacted and nobody is notified. They're little more than easy money grabs by the government.

    A law was passed in Virginia last summer which states that Virginia drivers who speed (it may be just on interstates or at certain speeds, I don't remember) are liable for $1,000 fines. It doesn't apply to non-Virginia residents. Well, of course it was reported in the media after it was already law. Virginians were only able to exact a small bit of vengeance in the last election by voting the bill's supporters out of office. A fair number of state representatives went down in flames over it - including ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia has a similar law about slowing down and changing lanes if it is safe to do so. On the way back from Richmond this afternoon on I 95 there were two emergency vehicles on the left shoulder. I and other vehicles slowed down somewhat but changing lanes was not possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew about slowing down - didn't know about changing lanes!! Thank you!!! And congrats on the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:02 PM

    Wow! I hope we remember this next time we're driving in ON... I'm happy that you were spared of this ticket... lots of money saved. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:28 PM

    Wow, thanks for the Public Service Announcement. I did not know that. I'm glad the charges against you were dropped. *phew*

    ReplyDelete

thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog. I appreciate the comment and will be sure to stop by and visit your blog.